Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Our Going Away Lunch

Today was a great day at the hospital! I cannot believe that I only have TWO more days left with the sweet patients!! All of our supervisors took us out for lunch today at The Pizza Joint downtown. It was nice to be able to spend time with them outside of the hospital. All of the interns got together to buy all 6 supervisors a cute tote bag and got their initials monogrammed onto the bag.
 When we walked in, the supervisors had backpacks across each chair as our "going away gift".
 This is what it looked like.
 .....and this is what was inside!!
These are all items that you can use while providing distractions for kids while they are having a procedure done. My favorite items that they gave us are the fart putty-(the kids have the best time with this!!!) and the magic wand. 

I am so thankful for every supervisor that I have been with. They have taught me more than I could have ever imagined I would learn in these past 9 months. I learned how to introduce what child life is to patients and families. I learned how to prepare a patient for an IV placement, blood draw, PICC line, scope, port access, NG tube, sutures, x-ray, CT scan, MRI, shots, skin test, and many more that I know I am leaving out. I learned how to distract patients while they are getting a procedure done. I learned how to provide support to the patient and families in a trauma situation in the ER. I learned how to help the child meet their developmental and physical needs while being in the hospital. I learned that Child Life can work with dying patients. I was able to see the difference that Child Life makes while working with patients and families while they are at the hospital. I was able to see how special events such as, pet therapy, superhero visits, mini concerts, and art activities helped the patient cope with their hospitaliztion. I learned alot about time management. I learned how important it is to have a good relationship with you co-workers. I learned alot about myself through constructive criticism. I could go on and on about what I have learned. This has seriously been the best experience of my entire life. It feels so good to be 23 years old and already know my calling in life! Wow, these 9 months flew by.

No comments:

Post a Comment