Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Dog is a Mans Best Friend

Today, I lost a very special friend.. my dog, Monet.
She got out of the fence during the night and was hit by a car this morning. It kills me that when Ive told people about it today I get the response, "Its ok, she was just a dog." Well in our family, a dog is just as much a part of the family as anyone else.
I have had this dog since I was in 4th grade. Shes the 2nd dog I've ever had, but the first one I got really close with. Its true when they say "A dog is a mans best friend". This is the dog that heard all about my boy problems, she is who I would vent to if I got mad at my family, she is who I would go to when I went through my first breakup (theres nothing like sweet kisses from a dog), she is who I would sneak my food to under the table or throw out the window when I would try to pretend I liked a certain meal, she is who I used to go on long walks around the neighborhood with, and she is the dog that could look me in the eyes and you can just tell how much she loves you.
Her favorite thing to do was love on people. You didnt even have to be petting her to make her happy, as long as you had your hand just touching her she would have a smile on her face. Im going to miss going outside and have her just get as close to me as she can, and just lean on me with all her weight, knocking me over.
Her favorite thing to eat (she eats EVERYTHING), but her absolute favorite was bananas! She would sneak them off the kitchen counter and hunch down asking to go outside thinking you didnt see them in her mouth.
I took this picture last weekend, she looked so comfortable all spread out :)

This is her best friend/ brother, Buddy. My heart breaks for Buddy now because he did everything with Monet.

I am so glad that my Dad painted this picture of Monet. I have it hanging in my house in, I have it on a Christmas ornament, and I have it on a tshirt. Ive never picked a favorite painting of my dads, but this one is my absolute favorite now. I will cherish it for the rest of my life and cannot wait to tell everyone the story of Monet when they ask about the painting.
A dog may just be a dog to someone, but Monet was family and a best friend. A best friend who cannot tell your secretd, a best friend who will always be there for you, a best friend who will love you unconditionally. All she wanted to do was love you, and have you love her in return. I saw a quote before that said "I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"...
Im going to miss you sweet Monet......
1998-2010

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweetie! This brought tears to my eyes! A dog is so much more than just a dog, they are our worlds, and out best friends. Since the big move, Molly girl is my only source of company these days, and helped me through the loss of a baby. She has made me realize that God gave me a 'baby' when He gave me Molly. I am so sorry, this sucks. I am sure Monet thought you were an amazing person who cared and loved her everyday of your lives. She was lucky to have you, and you were lucky to have her. Any time our best friend leaves us, seems far too soon. Hugs and happy memories...

    ReplyDelete