Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Whats been up....



This is my new friend, Kaitlyn Frits. There is a cool story about her... Two weekends ago, she met my brother at church in Valdosta. They went out to eat together and Andrew told her that he has a sister living in Augusta. She quickly told him that she is from Augusta and that her family always takes in college students to be their "family away from home". I got a phone call from her Saturday asking me to go to church with her family and then to eat lunch afterwards. Normally, I would be hesitant and said no, because I dont like doing things without thinking about it for a few days, but to my surprise, I said yes! I did not want to have another lonely weekend, and it would be so nice to have a "family" in Augusta. I met them at church, and immediately they took me in. I felt like I had known them for years, within the first 5 minutes of conversation. Afterwards, we ordered Firehouse Subs and went to their house to eat. She has such a sweet family, who deeply care about everyone. I am so thankful that the Lord put her in Andrews path, and that he felt like he should tell her about me.

This week, we had to sit out in the waiting rooms with patients and "entertain" them. We had word searches, markers, crayons, paper, and pipe cleaners. This is one of my creations. haha.. The kids thought it was cute so thats what matters :) We also taught them how to make flowers, their initials, and several other cool stuff.

This has been the highlight of my week so far. I was making rounds yesterday and took a little girl some paper and markers. She was so excited, but instead of wanting to do something for herself, she wanted to do something for me. She painted this for me, and on the back it says "I LOVE YOU" with her name and date. This is definitely on my fridge now!

Another highlight of the week so far:
I am doing my rotation on the oncology floor, so I am working with cancer patients all month. Well yesterday I met with this one patient who does not have high spirits. Lets just say I was able to get a smile and laugh out of him. They said he has not smiled or laughed in ONE MONTH! I almost burst into tears when I heard that... But thats not all..... I even got him to say he will challenge me to a game in the teen room of "Guitar Hero" ! He wanted to do it right then, but unfortunately, I had to go do something else... So that will be tomorrow!! :)

and last but not least... Here is a picture of Chanel, because I know all my family back home is missing her just as much as they are missing me!!

1 comment:

  1. This story is so awesome! I met Kaitlyn this summer and thought she was one of the sweetest people ever- it is so neat that you two are now friends! Your kids sound adorable, I hope you are loving every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete