Monday, February 20, 2012

The Wreck.....



On my way home from Charleston, I saw my life flash before my eyes. It had been raining all morning, so I thought I was being smart by heading home when the rain stopped. When I was getting off an exit in Columbia, SC., my car hydroplaned, went all the way across the road, then spun several times and I ended up in a ditch rolled over on my side, the car then rocked back in an upright position.

The police told me that I came within a foot away from hitting the concrete slabs holding up the bridge. He said if I were to have hit it, I would have had serious head injuries.
I remember seeing cars in the distance when I was getting off of the exit and I knew that I could go ahead and merge without them hitting me. When I began to hydroplane, I remember looking in my rear-view mirror and not seeing a single car in sight. I do not know how a car did not hit me or how I did not hit another car.

As I was spinning, I remember thinking that I am about to die or become paralyzed. I remember thinking about my family and Anthony, and how I may not be able to talk to them again.

I have never had my life flash before my eyes until last night. It was not a good feeling. It is something that I am still battling right now. I cannot sleep because I keep having flashbacks of the hydroplaning, spinning, and heading into the ditch. I keep thinking about everything that could have happened. I keep thinking about how my dog could have been killed. I keep thinking about how I could have been killed or how I could have killed someone.



I was in shock at the amount of people that pulled over to check on me. The first person was a mexican. He came and opened my car door and had to help me out of the car because it was leaning so bad. I was able to use his phone to call my parents. A sweet black lady also pulled over and she called 911 for me. Another guy pulled over and helped me find my cell phone. He also gave me his Clemson sweatshirt because it was cold and rainy outside. Several more stopped and got out of their car to check on me. Every single one of them offered to stay with me until my parents arrived.

It took a while for the police to arrive at the scene because there were 4 other wrecks just in this area at the same time. I had an off-duty police let me sit in the car with him for over an hour while I was waiting for my Mom to get to the scene. She was still in Charleston. The police was so sweet to me. We got to know each other by asking a billion questions. He kept me laughing the entire time. I know he was trying to calm me down and take my mind off of what just happened, and it really worked. When my mom got to the scene, I lost it and just began to cry. I waited over 2 hours to see her. I never needed my mama more than I did in that very moment.


This is the sweatshirt that the one person gave me.. I am not going to lie.. I kind of like it!

We are in the process now of waiting to see if my car is totaled. The people that towed my car said that it is totaled. The state farm lady said that it is totaled. The police said that it is totaled. We are just waiting to hear back from one more person now. I got a rental car to day and I am not going to lie, I do not want to drive. I am scared to drive. I get scared that every car I see is going to hit me. I know this is something that I am going to have to get over fast, but it is really playing with my emotions right now.


This wreck was bad, and I am in a lot of pain, but I am so thankful that it was not as serious as it could have been. Noone was seriously hurt, and a car can always be replaced. I know the Good Lord sure was watching out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment