Monday, January 9, 2012

Make A Difference Monday

Today I was listening to KLOVE Christian radio station and they were talking about "make a difference monday". People were calling in telling the sweetest stories. I decided I wanted to start blogging about people and events that have made a difference in my life. I also want to talk about ways that you can make a difference in someone elses life.


My sophomore year of high school, I went with a group from school to Peru for my first over-seas mission trip. It was over our christmas break and my birthday so I had mixed feelings about not being in the states during this. However, I had no idea what a difference this trip would make in my life. I have been on several mission trips before, but this one was different. I have never seen such poverty. I have never seen kids that wore the same dirty clothes for over a week straight. I have never seen kids who had to care for themselves all day long by themselves while both of their parents went off to work. I have never seen houses made of clay and sticks. I have never seen children as giving as these. I have never seen siblings take care of each other like they did. I have never seen someone get so excited about a camera. I have never seen children so dirty.

I have never seen smiles so big.


My favorite memory of this trip was the day before my birthday I told all the kids that my birthday was the next day. I didnt think they would remember. The next day, our van pulled up to the child care center and all the kids circled around it smiling. As we stepped out, several of the kids started yelling and singing "Feliz Cumpleanos" to me. I had one little girl step up and give me her only piece of jewelry... a brown beaded bracelet. My eyes filled up with tears!

This trip made me realize how materialistic America is. These children had nothing, but were still so happy. They didnt have tv, furniture, a bed, internet, nice clothes, Coach purses, shoes, etc.. I am still so guilty of being materialistic at times, and that is something that I would like to change about myself.

I wish I could find my cd of all my Peru pictures, but they are nowhere to be found. This trip was such an awesome experience. I know it made a difference in everyones lives that went on this trip. We all realized everything we take for granted. We went on this trip to make a difference in THEIR lives, but I think it turned out to be the other way around...


Who or What has made a difference in YOUR life??

Comment below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment